Wednesday, August 13, 2008

One hell of a Smart Chick

This was last evening:

We drive past the building where I met my present boss for my first interview. I sigh and tell the Boyfriend about it.

“Aiyah, I don’t understand you girls. Why is it always so hard for you to let go and move on? You don’t even like your job. Women... Tsk!”

GGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRR….

“Hey! In a hypothetical situation, if your girlfriend, whom you love very much, were to break up with you, isn’t this the very trait you would want her to have? Just so that there is a chance for you guys to get back together again? But then when it surfaces in a situation completely uninvolving you and your wants, you find it an annoying trait? What the hell? Men… TSK! You only use us when you need us!”

The Boyfriend turns to me with a baffled look, shakes his head as if to clear out the cobwebs in between his ears and said, “Wha--? Can you say that again, slowly please? And add some punctuation marks this time.”

I try to regurgitate my outburst as best as I can remember it. My second tries are never as fluent as my first.

The Boyfriend shakes his head again, presumably to clear out any lingering cobwebs he might have missed out the first time. Then, almost in wonder, he says thoughtfully, “You know, I’ve always liked smart girls. And you are the smartest one I have ever met and that was a big reason why I starting liking you. But sometimes too much of a good thing becomes a bad thing.”
More head-shaking.

I sit stunned for a minute and truth be told, glowing with pride. Woah, did the earth just move? The Boyfriend always says I’m a smart-mouth and I talk too much, yadda yadda but he has never admitted that he thinks I’m smart. Plus the Boyfriend is also rather constipated when it comes to dishing out praise of any kind. Happiness is me!

But of course I can’t let it be known that he has just made my entire week with that statement. So I turn to look out of my window and mutter loudly, “Your ex-girlfriend very smart, meh? She looks mildly retarded to me.”



Location: 14th floor of misery
Current Condition: still happy
Music: edwin mccain

No comments: