Friday, September 5, 2008

A man's best friend

Went over to my cousin’s place for dinner and a chat last evening. It was the first time I have been over since she moved in and was surprised to see how domesticated she has become.

Her two dogs are so incredibly cute. Stoli is a 6-month old Jack Russell terrier and Chus is a 6-year old cocker spaniel. When I got there, Chus was being punished for eating an entire plate of sardines off the table. Which is pretty unbelievable cos Chus has like the sweetest temperament I have ever seen in a dog. He took his punishment like a man-dog, without a single whine or growl the entire night. He just looked at us with his huge brown sad puppy eyes; completely melted my heart. Unfortunately he also kinda stank of sardines so I didn’t wanna get too near.

On the other hand, Stoli is such a ruffian. She spent the entire night jumping up on us, gnawing on her basin and pawing Chus through the gate he was locked up in.

We wanted to let Chus out for a bit but Stoli immediately jumped on him and tried to bite his ears, and it got a little rough and heavy so we had to separate them and Chus slinked back (rather thankfully, I suspect) to his naughty corner once again.

Seeing Stoli so alert and hyperactive made me think about poor Sparky and how old age has taken a toll on him. Without free run of the house, he has become rather senile and slow, forgetting all commands he used to recognize in his youth. I wish that FBIL would spend more time with him and be more responsible in taking care of Sparky. Sometimes I get really angry when I see how disinterested and uninvolved he has become but it’s not my place to say anything. Having a pet automatically transforms you into a parent and it really irks me to see his boh chap attitude towards Sparky. I can only do so much; it’s not as though I live there and can take care of Sparky on a daily basis.

I just wished everyone would stop making excuses for FBIL and wake him up to the realities of life. Either that, or give Sparky away to someone who will really love and cherish him.

Location: 14th floor of misery
Current Condition: frustrated
Music: duffy

No comments: